- Diamond Core Drilling of size HQ/NQ up to 350 rnetcr depth in soft, mecinun and hard rock.
- Diamond Core Drilling of size BQ up to 200 meter depth in medium and hard compact formations.
- Diamond Core Drilling of size AQ up to 50 meter depth in hard compact formation.
HISTORY OF DIAMOND CORE DRILLING IN GEOLOGICAL SURVEY OF PAKISTAN (GSP):The Drilling Directorate was established in 1957 in GSP. A training programme was started in GSP in 1959 with the help of ICA (now called USAID) drilling adviser. The duration of training was two year, it was mostly on-job training at drilling sites/machines, including 3 months in GSP workshop. At the end of training, an examination was conducted and a Diploma in Diamond Core Drilling was awarded to successful candidates. The training program was continued till 1968 and then suspended. After lapse of 7 year this training scheme resumed in 1975 and discontinued in 1977. Hundreds of drilling professionals were trained and their services were also rendered to other Pakistani organizations. Later on other provincial government and public sector organizations tried to start mineral exploration by Diamond Core Drilling but due to lack of professionals they could not succeed. At present the Drilling Directorate of GSP is the only public sector organization which conducts this specialized technique of core drilling named as Diamond Core Drilling in Pakistan. Core Drilling is the only method which is used to confirm an anomaly/mineral deposit with 100% surety.
PROMINENT PROJECTS CARRIED OUT BY GSP:
The Drilling Directorate is the main branch of crucial importance in GSP. The department carried out the following major projects with the main contribution of Drilling Directorate;
- The drilling at Quaid-i-Azam’s Mausoleum in Karachi was the first the project which was carried out by GSP in 1958.
- GSP drilled the deepest bore hole 1375 meters for Salt at Bahadurkeil Distt. Kohat.
- The Directorate discovered Lime Stone and Coal in Asam-Sylhet border in East Pakistan.
- Lakhra Coal Drilling Project.
- UN-Pak Mineral Survey Iron ore drilling Project at Chichali.
- Lowari Tunnel Drilling Project, Dir, Chitral.
- Tarbela Dam Soil testing drilling Project.
- Iron ore drilling in Dera Ghazi Khan as well as drilling for Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission.
- Saindik Coper Gold Drilling Project.
- Diamond Core Drilling for TCC Australia at RekoDiq Copper-Gold Project.
- Drilling for Dilband Iron Ore.
- Lead Zink Drilling Project, Khuzdar.
- Drilling for OPL (USA Company) at Pasni.
- Diamond Core Drilling for RE-Brown (German Company) in Tharparker.
- Coal Exploration drilling in So-Range, Dukki and Harnai areas.
- Thar Coal Drilling Project.
- Sonda Coal Drilling Project.
- Cholistan Coal Drilling Project.
- Drilling for Chiniot Iron Ore andKalabag Iron Ore.
- Diamond Core Drilling for PUNJMIN and PMDC at their Projects.
- Drilling for Hangu Coal Project, KPK.
- Ground water drilling in Quetta Valley and other areas of Balochistan.
- Kotri Railway Bridge Drilling Project.
- Drilling for Dam Site investigations all over Pakistan.
- Diamond Core Drilling for AJKMIDC at Muzafarabad Azad Kashmir.
- Diamond Core Drilling at Neelum Jhelum Hydro Power AJK.
- Ground Follow up Aeromagnetic Anomalies Drilling Project Chagai.
- Chamalong Coal Drilling Project.
- Diamond Core Drilling for Underground Coal Gasification Project at Thar.
- Badin Coal Drilling Project.
- Bahlol-Nosham Coal Drilling Projecy.
PROGRESS HISTORY OF DRILLING DIRECTORATE w.e.f 1958 to June 2019:
Total Drill Holes:1700 Footage Drilled:6,50,000 ft (approx.)